SDG Teach In 2024: Get Started, Go Further!
The Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs) are 17 ‘Global Goals’ which set out targets to end poverty, protect the planet, and achieve prosperity for all by 2030. SOS-UK’s SDG Teach In, is a campaign to embed the SDGs, and therefore sustainability, at the heart of all aspects and forms of education whether formal or informal, workplace learning, and training and development in a way that is meaningful and impactful. The Campaign encourages educators and trainers to pledge to embed them into their training, teaching and learning during the Teach In month (and beyond!). The 2024 campaign will take place from 1st – 31st March 2024. The 2024 Teach In will spotlight 4 key themes across the 4 weeks of the campaign, and will encourage educators to #getstarted and #gofurther with the breadth and depth to which they embed sustainability into their content!
Why the SDG Teach In?
The Teach In has multiple aims such as:
- Raising awareness of the importance of sustainability, education for sustainable development and sustainability education;
- Raising awareness of the importance of sustainability education as a crucial aspect of quality equitable education and a pre-requisite for environmental justice and a just transition;
- Catalysing curriculum reform and encouraging holistic workplace learning and training and development that places sustainability at the forefront;
- Embedding sustainability and social responsibility across all spheres of learning and disciplines and throughout lifelong learning and training opportunities;
- Linking all forms of teaching, learning, training, and assessment to local and global social, political, environmental and economic issues;
- Preparing and equipping young people and all learners with the knowledge, skills, capabilities and attributes to innovatively tackle the world’s greatest challenges;
- Making sustainability everybody’s responsibility.
The last Teach In (March 2023) was the most successful since the inception of the campaign!
- 1284 educators pledges to incorporate the SDGs into their teaching and learning;
- 121,912 students & learners were reached through lessons, workshops, tutorials, training and activities;
- 128 diverse educational institutions took part, including schools, colleges, universities, student unions, informal learning centers, and training centers and providers
- Massive international reach with 23 countries participating across 4 continents this year;
- Having run for six years, there are high hopes that the seventh Teach In in 2024 will see more educators, students, training providers, and institutions involved and going further.
Take this chance to learn and leading on sustainability – remember, learning is lifelong!
Here’s how to get involved:
Educators and training providers of all kinds are able to pledge to take part now using our online pledge form. By taking part, you are pledging to embed one or more of the SDGs into teaching, training, learning and development opportunities throughout the month of the campaign (and hopefully beyond!).
If you are a student, trainee, or staff member who does not directly deliver any training or education, you can get involved by sharing the Teach In with all your networks online and offline to encourage people to take part.
Starting in March 2024, we will release 2 weekly leaderboards to show which education or training provider have the highest numbers of educators participating, and which are reaching the most people with this learning.
Keep a lookout for more information over the coming months. We’ll be sharing resources, updates and case studies throughout the Teach In month.
This year, we want the Teach In to encourage everyone to #getstarted and #gofurther with their sustainability work, so help us spread the word!
Contact Beatrice Anomah for any support.